Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Lackluster Go-Getter

Since I plan on moving within the next 2 months, I am finding it very hard to muster any real motivation at work. For almost 3 years I've pushed and exerted effort and tried to be the best employee at this god forsaken company. And for the most part, I've succeeded. I started in April 2003 and by September I was a low level manager. By this point I manage the whole office. So I should feel some need to be...proactive. And yet...

These days I spend most of my time at work surfing the web, reading the NY Times online, emailing and IM'ing friends, and occasionally picking up the phone to make a work related call. I figure I can't be fired at this point since I am still keeping things going and I'm still doing some work. But I guess I'm just surprised at my lackadaisical attitude towards work. For the first year here I was petrified that I would get fired (having been fired thrice in the past) and I worked my ass off. I'd get in at 8 and work straight thru the day till 6, even though I was only getting paid for 40 hours a week. At this point, I get in at 8:30, still take no lunch, but I'm out of here at 5 on the dot most days.

I've sort of started my countdown to leaving this place and I'm sure that has something to do it. But I've also considered that perhaps I'm just done with the job. This has stopped being the good kind of challenging and now I just want something else; not sure what that "else" is but I know I won't find it here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home