Monday, November 28, 2005

Firing Ain't Easy

Too many times I've been the one on the other side of the desk, listening to whatever words the employer felt would be the nicest way to tell me that I was being fired. Usually the feeling was mutual and I wanted to leave as much as they wanted me gone, though there was that one time I really did want the job...

Over the past 2 years ostensibly I've been the manager at my place of employment. I've been the one you get transferred to when you're furious and need the manager; I'm the one who gets held responsible every time one of our employees acts like a jackass; I'm also the one who has to deal with all in the intraoffice politics. Luckily my office is just chock full of lunatics, so there's never a quiet and peaceful moment.

One employee in particular is causing problems, the one who believes he has been abducted by aliens (twice), who believes that he's psychic, and who believes that he has never been wrong a day in his life. Oh, and this employee has been physically threatening to me on a couple of occasions. Despite my desire to see him go over a year ago, I believe the time is finally nigh.
And while I should be rejoicing, and part of me is, I feel sorta...bad.

The man is a 40 year old loser, no two ways about it. He has a thinning pony tail, jowls, and a beer gut. He smokes pot everyday and lectures about how everyone else is "evil." Before we hired him, he was unemployed and made a living by selling all his old vinyls on Ebay. He is probably one of the more pathetic individuals I've met in my life. As much as I can't stand him, I pity him. I know that whether we fire him or if he quits, he probably won't have another job for many a moon. He'll probably live off the profits of whatever records or DVDs he has lying around and will sit and smoke up all his money. I'm not judging him - if this is what will make him happy, godspeed. But yeah, I'm judging him. That's just sad.

And so I believe within a couple of weeks I will finally get the chance to be rid of this loose cannon who makes every day at work a living hell. As happy as this will make me, I won't relish the moment.

Then again, he is a crazy fuck so who knows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home