Saturday, October 15, 2005

Trip Diary Part I - London

London - 9/23-25/05

The flight was pretty good considering... I sat next to a very friendly woman named Fiona and we ended up talking for almost half the flight, which was a good thing because the movies sucked big time. She even paid for a couple of drink when we took off, which is always the way to my good side.
I managed to get into London on the Heathrow Express with little stress and Jack picked me up at Paddington Station. We went back out to get some groceries for shabbos and got caught in the driving rain. Just what one needs after sitting on a plane for 10 hours.
Unfortunately, I spent the next 24 hours in a total daze. Weeks of exhaustion and the general tiredness of travel made it impossible for me to really go anywhere on Saturday. Friday night was just me and Jack and we had a very nice shabbos dinner. He made some Brazilian fish dish he had when he was in Brazil earlier this year, something with coconut, very yummy. Saturday Jack had 2 friends over, Jeff and Tanya. Jeff sings in the shul choir with Jack liked many of the same things I do, to the point where I got a bit freaked out. Amadeus was in his top 3 favorite movies of all time and it's my number one. Tanya referred to herself as a "lapsed barrister" and was very funny and friendly. It was so nice to talk to adults my own age again. I really do miss being social.
After trying to figure out what we were to do on Saturday night, we ended up playing it by ear. Went to a hotel near Jack's flat for drinks and lovely view of the London night skyline; then we stopped by somewhere and I had my first official fish and chips and mushy peas. I need to find out what "plaice" is [Still haven't figured that out yet] And then we ventured into town. Despite the loud and rowdy crowd outside, we went to see the late show at the Comedy Store. And weren't we surprised when the comedians turned out to be really funny. We took the night bus back home and apparently encountered the Kurdish Mafia, which seems to be comprised of stupid and drunk potheads. Oh and some guy was waving around his friend's tighty-whiteys, gotta love the night bus.
On Sunday I had plans to see the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy exhibit at the Science Museum with my friend Naomi. But she was too sick and when I got the museum to go on my own the exhibit had been cancelled. I thought I'd catch an IMAX show, but the one I wanted to see had already shown. I ended up wandering aimlessly for a bit and then headed to the Victoria and Albert Museum. Some amazing stuff there, along with a delicious tuna sandwich for lunch. Then after not finding the tube, I prayed I was going in the right direction and walked from there to Knightsbridge and Harrod's. Luckily, I went the right way and spent over an hour wandering around Harrod's food courts, just lusting after all the various foods. Eventually I dragged myself away and went back to Jack's flat and read at Paddington Green for a bit.
Sunday night I went to St. Mary's Church, which is right down the block from Jack's flat, for a performance that was part of the Little Venice Music Festival (Jack lives in Little Venice). It's a tiny church that seems to have been around since at least the 1820's. They performed an odd mix of music including a Bach violin sonata, a Mozart flute concerto, and some Gershwin and assorted showtunes. Jack's friend from Oxford, Deb joined us. Afterwards, Jack and I went out for a quick bite to eat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home