Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Horatio Hornblower

Now, I'm someone who loves tales of the sea, so to speak. I loved Moby Dick and all those classic tales of ships at sea, especially when it involved the British Navy.
When Master and Commander came out 2 years ago, I fell in love. Not just because of Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany, but the adventure, the pure unadulterated zest that these characters seemed to embody was infectious and the soundtrack didn't hurt none either.

So it would be a bit of surprise that I just started watching the A&E series, "Horatio Hornblower", based on the books by C.S. Forrester.

From what I can glean after watching the first episode, the series revolves around Midshipman Hornblower and his experiences in the British Navy. As stuffy as this might sound, it is precisely the opposite of that. War with the French, problems with other officers and internal struggles make this series tense and thrilling. Unlike - it would seem - the majority of viewers out there, I do not get confused when there are many characters with similar accents and possibly similar names, and as such, I have no problem keeping track of everyone on the show.
Must say I don't much get how people get so easily confused when watching television or movies, but I guess it is not my place to judge.

Anyway, I'm very excited to watch the rest the rest of the series and the fact that the lead is played by Ioan Gruffud is only the icing on the cake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home