Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Jonny Be Good! (Please)

According to the LA Times, it would appear that my secret boyfriend, Jon Stewart, will be hosting this year's Oscars and despite my undying love and devotion to Mr. Stewart...I'm hesitant.

I'm not hesitant because I don't think he's funny or smart or capable. I think he's all of the above. But the Oscars is not his milieu. It's almost no one's milieu except for Bob Hope and Billy Crystal. In recent memory they are the only 2 hosts not to have bombed with full medals. I will say that I enjoyed Steve Martin, but Steve is just to classy for the Oscar crowd.

Hosting the Oscars is a thankless job. If the monologue doesn't include a song, today's audiences won't like it. Then the rest of the show is trying to pick up the slack from the actors who are forced to recite those painfully awful jokes while they present the Award for best editing in a feature film. While Jon can quip with the best of them, he's not particularly good at kissing ass. If you don't believe me watch his interview with John Kerry - ouch. Jon is at his best when he's leading some political pundit down the long and winding road towards self-incrimination. And when it works, it is a thing of utmost beauty. But this is not the venue for such beauty.

The expectations for Jon are so great that he just has to do OK and the poisoned pens will race to bash him. And that is just not necessary. If it is true that Jon is indeed hosting, I pray he rocks the fucking house, for his sake.

In other related news, the vitriolic and downright nasty comments on the LA Times page just appalled me. I know that the LA Times is a relatively conservative newspaper (I wouldn't read their coverage of US or Middle East politics if you paid me), the anti-Semitic bent of their readers was a total shock.
Like Jon, hate Jon just leave your "Jews control Hollywood" at home.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

Hello! I am so glad to have discovered your blog! I have book marked it. I am not a big Jon Stewart fan, but I do think the critics are harsh on the hosts. I also think that Billy C is the best host ever. I wonder if we will see him do that again. If you want to check out my blog, feel free.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Smapdi said...

Thanks Nicole! I'll definitely take a look at yours.
Thus far (since I don't remember Bob Hope) Crystal is the best Oscar host, but sometimes I feel that's because he can pander to the audience better than anyone else.
I guess we have to wait till March 6th to see how harsh the critics are going to be on Jon.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home