Monday, June 13, 2005

I didn't sign up for this

At 3 pm on Friday, my boss decides that he wants me to go to a conference in NY this coming Thursday that he's known about for at least 3 months.

In a frantic rush, I book a flight and sign up for the conference.

However, the hotel becomes something else.

My boss assumed I would have friends to stay with. Problem with that is I no longer have any friends in NY. Of the 2 friends that are still there, 1 lives with her parents and the other has moved in with her fiance. Neither situation lends itself to a place for me.

It is now Monday afternoon and after a weekend of frantic websearches and phone calls, I still have no where to stay.
Part of the problem is the monetary restrictions my boss has placed one me; I am not allowed to spend more than $200 a night on the room.

In NY, as in LA, there are basically 3 classes of hotels:
1. Your four star, extravagant and stellar accommodations that are going to cost you a pretty penny but you'll be treated very very nicely and you'll never have to question the standards of the room you'll stay in.
2. The average 3 star hotels that can range from very nice to pretty good in terms of their accommodations and if booked in advance, can start at around $200 - very reasonable. However, if not booked in advance they tend to sell out or the prices skyrocket.
3. Your 2 and 1 star hotels. These are the crack dens of NY where you are more likely to find someone shooting up heroin than getting ready to go to the theatre. These hotels are usually not in the midst of the hustle and bustle and it is quite likely that you'll be afraid to find out what those stains on the sheets are.

Right now my choices are either spending an exorbitant amount of money for just a pretty OK room or taking my life and property into my own hands and staying at a 1 star hotel in the middle of craptown.

Because today and tomorrow are Shavout, a Jewish holiday wherein my boss doesn't pick up his phone or check his email, I am stuck waiting till tomorrow night to see if I can find a decent place to lay my head this coming Wednesday and Thursday nights.

I won't go so far as to sit here and whine about how unfair this all is (even though it so totally is!) but if my boss expects me to get on that plane Wednesday morning without having a place to go to when I land, he's got another thing coming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home