Friday, April 29, 2005

It's a Lonely Lonely Town

For the first time in as long as I can remember, I'm heading to visit NY with no plans to see any friends.

Most of my friend who've lived there in the past have married and moved to various suburbs, like you do. Others, the ones who aren't yet officially hitched, have either crept so far into their relationships that there doesn't seem to be room for any other human beings. The very few people I know who either aren't in a hermetically sealed relationship or haven't found the person with which to find that xenophobic bliss, they just don't seem to want to have much to do with me anymore.

I suppose it's not all that suprising; I moved to LA over 2 years ago and while I scrambled to get my life and sanity back together everyone else moved on with their lives and I've been left behind in the proverbial dust. Time and space can be trying on any type of relationship and friendships based on what now seems to be superficiality or proximity suffer the most with distance. Time might make the heart grow fonder for some, but I've found that in my case, it's just mostly out of sight, out of mind.

While it has always been fiscally responsible to be able to stay with friends while in town, it also provided me with that extra time with the hosts. Some of the best conversations can be held with a friend over the morning cup of coffee. With my dire lack of companionship, I have been forced to shell out an entire paycheck to find proper housing. Yes, this does give me a lot less money to play with as I wander up and down the streets of Manhattan, I am also foreseeing a deep sense of loss as I wake up and go to sleep without a friendly body in the next room.

New York itself has never let me down, and I only hope that on this next trip where so much will be spent in personal solitude, that the city I love is there for me once again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home