Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A Chip off the Old Shoulder

I'm usually the last to admit this, but yes, I am an intellectual snob.
This is not to say that I'm some bigtime smartypants, but on occasion I know a few things. However, I have been highly intolerant of those whose knowledge of books, politics, history, and anything that isn't found on the pages of People. To my knowledge I've never snubbed anyone who falls into that category, but I know that I judged.
Barring one glaring example at my last job (and the acid dropping paranoid alien-abductee knows who he is), I've been lucky enough to work with non-mouth breathers. At Barnes and Noble, there is a far larger sieve where employees are concerned. A great retail employee doesn't necessarily need to have massive brain power - just selling power. And as such, I've been working with not the brightest colors in the 64 box of crayons. Nice nice people, but the sorts who say "I'll tell you what". But I no longer judge, for the most part. These are in reality nice nice people and I'm learning that sometimes that can be enough. Sure I'm not going to want to sit down and debate whether Von Karajan is the best Beethoven conductor with most of my coworkers, but I don't have to worry about any of them stabbing me in the back (literally or figuratively).
I know that there will always be some tiny corner of my mind that will scream whenever I hear one of them mangle the English language but I've stopped rolling my eyes and muttering under my breath and that has to count for something.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll tell you what.....it's good to have patience with the non-SmartyPants in the world.

Cuz that's most of the people you'll run into. Glad you're back to writing!

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home