Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Foie Gras, Truffles, Red Wine and Me

So as far as I am aware, come the end of September, I'm off on a 6 day walking tour in the Southwest of France.

I'm not quite sure what awaits me, but I've read that the region (Perigord) is well known for it's foie gras and truffles...which leads me to believe I'm going to be eating very very well.

The tour is actually a self guided walk arranged by a British travel company; they'll transport the luggage, give you all the info you need and you go at your own pace during the day. At night, you stay in quaint village inns, where they feed you and let you rest your weary bones.

I started reading up about the region and it turns out that this is one of the first sites of culture in the annals of human development. Back in the 1940's 2 young boys stumbled across a bunch of caves with complicated and beautiful drawings showcasing various aspects of what we assume to be a caveman's life, including what is now called "The Great Hunt". The region also served a vital role in the French/British relationship over the years.

I'm just hoping to have a moment where I'm sitting along side the Dordogne River, munching on a crusty bagette, some truly wonderful French cheese and sipping some red wine from a green glass bottle. Hopefully a big ass Medieval castle will be somewhere in the background.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds awesome! enjoy it and bring back some memories

10:11 AM  
Blogger Smapdi said...

I'm hoping to bring back some pictures as well...if I can find my camera that is.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home