Monday, April 18, 2005

Everyone Has AIDS!

They are making a movie version of the Broadway musical "Rent" and from looking at the cast, there is chance it might not suck.

I love "Rent". I've seen it 5 times and at one point had memorized the entire score. To this day there are still certain songs that get me every single godamned time. And even though the subject matter can seem at time slightly dated, the show still has relevance. Today was the first I heard of the movie version and despite the director's helm being taken up by Chris Columbus who brought us such brilliant social commentary as "Mrs. Doubtfire" and "Home Alone", the fact that they have almost the entire original Broadway cast is terribly encouraging.

I'm not quite sure how well the play will transfer over to the big screen, but I guess we should ready ourselves for a slew of these movi-fied Broadway Plays - "The Producers" is currently filming and I believe I heard rumors that they are going to make a movie musical out of "Hairspray". Of course both were originally movies before they were musicals, but I guess no one wants to think about that.

Should "Rent" prove to suck and suck hard, we can all just sit back and remember Matt and Trey's version "Lease" and hum the tune of "Everyone Has AIDS".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home