Tuesday, January 11, 2005

What the Hell is Wrong with Married People?

Ok, so not all married people (or Smug Marrieds to use the Bridget Jones vernacular) are jerks. But quite a few are. And unfortunately, I feel like I know a lot of them.

I am a 28 year old single woman. I have 2 more years before I become a statistic and I have a better chance of getting struck by lightening than finding someone. Don't think this hasn't crossed my mind a few thousand times a day. It's not like I have been in any crazy rush to get married. Of course while all my friends were getting hitched at the tender age of 20 or 21, I thought calmly, "I can wait till I'm 27. What's the hurry?" Problem is 27 came and went, and here I am, still single.

The problem starts when my friends ask me how I am and how my life is.
(Note: in general my life ain't so great, but I'm alive and barely breathing so nothing too major)

I tell my friends that while I am also looking for that great job in New York, and for that great living situation (aka away from my family in LA), one of the bigger issues in my life is the fact that I am alone with no respite in sight.

While they try to sympathic, for the most part they give me a lecture.
"So what if you're single? Marriage isn't everything."
I never said it was.

"Isn't it more important to find a job than a man? Who cares if you aren't with someone?"
Yes, finding a job I love is more important...right now. As I get older, the whole man thing gains importance.

"Oh it's no big deal. You'll find someone eventually."
Oh really? No big deal? And please define "eventually".

And this just keeps going and going.

Personally I am having a very hard time hearing that I should be patient from people who no longer have this to worry about. I'm sure they figure, eh, I found my person, so will everyone else. But that's not true. Not everyone finds another person to love and who will love them. There are quite a few people out there who still buy enough groceries for only 1 person. Just because you found someone who can tolerate your idiocy doesn't mean that will happen for the rest of us.

I am sure some of these people have not yet wholly forgotten what it is like to feel alone and unwanted. But these feelings have faded, like the memories of the SAT's. You remember the stress and the angst, but it just doesn't matter anymore. I have a hard time imagining they really know how I feel. That doesn't mean at one point they didn't, but right now they surely don't.

I know most of these people are just trying to be comforting, to make me feel better, but they are really not helping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home