Sunday, October 24, 2004

My Week of Flu and Civic Duty

Ok, let me start by stating that I probably didn't have the flu. I probably just had a really really bad cold that made want to die...but since I just associate that feeling with the flu, I'm going to call it the flu whether or not I'm right.

Last Saturday night, as I rewatched "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", I started feeling icky. The sort of icky that means coughing, sneezing, congestion and an inability to breathe. By Sunday morning I was in full-blown flu mode. Monday I went into work for an hour before deciding that the world would make much more sense if I could be horizontal and under many many blankets. The day was spent thusly, with a heavy dose of the Food Network.

Note: when you are sick and can't really concentrate on anything but can't sleep either, I highly recommend watching the Food Network. You don't really have to keep your eyes focused as they describe everything to you and if you fall asleep mid-show, there's not need for closure of any story lines. Worst show to watch is the Law and Order marathons they have nightly on USA and TNT. You fall asleep in the middle of one episode and wake up during the trial portion of another, wondering who these characters are and when did Chris Noth suddenly get back on the show. Not a good idea.

Tuesday I had to report in for Jury Duty. At Traffic Court. In downtown LA, which is mostly a vast and desolate wasteland. The bus driver told me to get off the bus too early and I found myself walking swiftly for 45 minutes trying to get to the courthouse so I could report in on time. Of course I got there 45 minutes late, sweating and ready to lie down on the dirty jury room floor...only to find out that there had been a computer glitch and I really didn't need to be there till Thursday. Dragging home my poor phlegm riddled body, complete with giant blisters from the brisk walk I had just completed, I momentarily debated going into work, but common sense prevailed and I spent another date in semi-consciousness watching Rachel Ray make quick and easy 30 minute meals.

I managed to pull a half day at work on Wednesday, but after almost falling asleep twice at my desk, I figured that I could do more good far far away from the office. I got home only to find that I had left my keys in my bedroom and had no way of getting into the house. After an hour sitting in Barnes and Noble, trying to think through the haze in my mind, I decided to go visit my mom at work and steal her keys. This took another hour or so. Finally I managed to ensconce myself on the couch and passed out to my millionth viewing of "Emma" with hot hot Jeremy Northam.

Thursday I had report for Jury Duty yet again. This time it was for real and the day was spent making other jurors move away from me as I coughed and hacked my way into their hearts and reading more than half of Jonathan Franzen's book, "The Corrections" (a faboo read, btw). At 3:45 they dismissed us, having called up only 5 people to serve for the day. The rest of us shuffled off to our respective homes and once again, I whiled away the afternoon half hearing Paula Deen make a slew of dishes with mayonnaise, butter, and lard. Delish.

Friday I actually worked a full day--though I did have to drop of MY keys at my mom's office, since she never took hers back and she herself was in danger of being locked out of the house.

None of this is particularly interesting, but it was one of the more useless weeks I've spent in a long time.
Of course I have done my civic duty and will not have to worry about jury duty for another year, but it would have been sort of cool to go to trial. Death sentences all around!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home