Tuesday, October 05, 2004

A Few Thoughts About Voting

After watching the debates and having listened to the stump speeches, press conferences, and pundit opinions for the past several months, I came to a very sad conclusion: I cannot vote for either Kerry or Bush and be totally happy with myself.

I have too many issues with the way Bush and his administration have run things since they took office. I'm not going to quote any Michael Moore propaganda, but I just feel like they haven't been totally straight with me and as much as I don't feel I need my government to have total disclosure at all times, there has been too much that I feel has not been above board with Bush and his cronies.

However, I have no clue who Kerry is. I've been trying to figure this out since the Democratic primaries and still have no answer. After primary debates, conventions, and one presidential debate, I feel like I should have some clue as to who Kerry is, what he stands for, and what he plans to do with this country. And yet...

On occasion, I consider myself to be fairly bright. If I am having such problems, I shudder to think what the average American thinks. You know, those people who can't be bothered to really read anything (or who have no time) and rely on the soundbites the news feels fit to give them. How is anyone supposed to make an educated voting decision in November? Should we just close our eyes and do an eeny-meeny-miney-mo?

Someone I know is advocating not voting. Not for himself but for everyone else. As much as I'd love to believe that is the answer, part of me still feels that voting is a civic duty...or at least something you should do if you want to complain about things. But do I want the uneducated and the occasionally stupid to vote just because they want to be able to complain later?

I'm just not sure there is an answer to any of this...either way that first Tuesday in November won't do much to cheer me up.
Perhaps I'll just drink heavily.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

VOTE NADER! ;-)

6:40 AM  
Blogger mm said...

you have been "watching the debates and having listened to the stump speeches, press conferences, and pundit opinions for the past several months" and still "have no clue who Kerry is"? Maybe you are not "fairly bright". Just kidding there, but seriously, the positions Kerry has on a wide variety of issues is very clear. Have you tried going to his website?

Maybe you need less "stump speeches, press conferences, and pundit opinions" and simply more truthful information.

Here is a poll demonstrating that a majority of Bush supporters do not know basic facts concerning Iraq or even Bush's own position on many foreign policy related issues. Maybe they shouldn't vote.

But, does an uninformed person know they are uninformed? Maybe those who question whether they are knowledgeable enough are better voters than the certian.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home