Thursday, June 10, 2004

An Added Praise for Woody


Lest my criticism of "Anything Else" be too harsh, I did want to add that Woody Allen is responsible for what I consider to be the most amazing opening sequence of any movie. I am, of course, talking about the opening to "Manhattan".

Granted, I have a soft spot in my black little heart for New York City, but how could anyone argue with the opening to "Manhattan"? We are shown amazing views of Manhattan, buildings, parks, people...all while Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue is played in the background. The city rises and sleeps to this music and it is just glorious. The final crescendos are accompanied by the sight of the Fourth of July fireworks over the East River. It is enough to make me seriously question how I ever thought I could live outside NYC.

Where is the director who brought us that?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home